|Duration:||10 Weeks||Classes:||Saturdays: 08:30-12:30 or Twice a week: 17:30-20:00|
Is this for me?
Desktop Publishing is about using software that allows you to combine and rearrange text, images and create digital files. If you have Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator skills but are struggling to pull it all together in a professional, usable format, then this short course is perfect for you. This course is not only for graphic designers but for those looking for design and layout skills that will take their careers to the next level.
What will I learn?
- Design, enhance and edit documents effectively
- Create, edit and manipulate photo’s professionally
- Learn how to prepare artwork for specific printing and publication purposes
- Create mock-ups of designs
- Create brochures and flyer layouts
- Work with various images, signs and symbols
- Colour management to ensure correct printing and digital applications
- Utilising various Design software applications together
What do I need to get in?
- Basic computer Skills Knowledge (Creating folders, copying and pasting objects, formatting text, saving files, etc.)
- Adobe Photoshop Knowledge (Editing functions such as cropping and resizing, working with layers and masks)
- Adobe Illustrator Knowledge (Working with vector shapes, using the Pen Tool, working with text and images)
What Certification do I get?
On successful completion, you will receive an ELMI Short Learning Programme Certificate in Desktop Publishing.
Modules that will be covered
- Design Development Cycle
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2017
- Adobe Illustrator CC 2017
- Vector Graphics, Raster Graphics, Design and Layout
- Desktop Publishing Workflow
- Artwork Production Management
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed against practical tasks and exercises that will be done during each session. The student has the potential to achieve a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade for each task. It is critical that at least 90% of the classes are attended as various topics are covered by the lecturer during each session.
What opportunities does it create for me or my business?
- You can use these new skills to manage, and standardise a company’s corporate identity on print and in the digital spaces.
- Create professional looking business stationery and forms such as business cards, invoices, check lists, staff contracts and memos.
- Create professional slideshows to utilise in company presentations.
- Create professional brochures, advertisement, infographics, reports and corporate documents.
- Convert printed materials into the correct format for use on websites and smartphones.
- Create effective brand guides ensuring consistent brand implementation throughout various platforms.
What are my options if I want to study further after the course?
Where will the classes be held?
The course will be run at our East London Campus at 231 Upper Oxford Street, Southernwood. Off-street parking is available in the evenings.
What’s included in my course fee?
- ELMI Registration fee
- Tuition material and textbooks
- Classroom Lectures and personal mentorship
- Assignments and assessments
- Marking, moderation and verification
- ELMI kit Bag
- Access and use of ELMI computer studios after 16:00